Wednesday, September 3, 2014

A Mother-in-Law's Wedding Day Vows

When my beloved mother passed away in 1996, I was entrusted a loose-leaf notebook in which she had hand-copied some of her favorite poems, quotations, Bible verses, etc. I had already begun the habit of making my own collection, and over the years I've returned to these "favorite quotes" many, many times for encouragement, laughter, and sweet memories. Today I want to share something I clipped out of a women's newsletter long before I became a mother-in-law. Still a good reminder.

A Mother-in-Law's Wedding Day Vows
by Vivian Dennis

Daughter-in-law, loved by my son, chosen by God--welcome to the family and to our hearts. From this day forward, with God's help, I promise ...

  • I will love you in the same way Jesus loves me. (Romans 5:8; 1 Peter 3:8,9)
  • I will allow you to be the uncontested first lady in my son's life. (Genesis 2:24)
  • I will be patient and kind, never arrogant--giving no advice unless you ask for it. (1 Corinthians 13:4)
  • I will do nothing from a selfish motive. (Philippians 2:3)
  • I will give you the benefit of the doubt in everything. (1 Corinthians 13:7)
  • I will seek (i.e., vigorously pursue) peace in our relationships. (1 Peter 3:11; Romans 12:18)
  • I will talk to my God about your shortcomings--not to my son, not to my friends, not to my prayer group. (1 Timothy 5:13)
  • I will dwell only on those things about you that are excellent and worthy of praise. (Philippians 4:8).
  • I will pray for your regularly. (Philippians 4:6).
  • I will, by God's grace and power, set for you and example of godliness. (Titus 2:3-5)

5 comments:

  1. I love this! I am going to save it.
    Thanks,
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I was hoping someone would find it worthy. Thanks for letting me know you did!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saved it too! This is beautiful, thank you so much for sharing it with me/us!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. After reading your post I am also thinking to renew my mom and dad wedding again. Can you please share some good ideas for wedding vows celebration? Also recommend some good location for vows!

    ReplyDelete