Saturday, January 2, 2016

Just one year to live? Part II

In Part I of this blog post (scroll down to read "Just One Year to Live? Part I" to see it), I told you all about re-reading an essay my first husband, Bob Whitson, had included in his funeral brochure back in 2001. I had re-read that essay as I pondered the brand near year being handed me on the eve of 2016. Re-reading it challenged me to think in terms of "If this is my last year ... last month ... last week ... last day ... last night ... then what?"

I shared my musings with a few writing friends, and they encouraged me to share it with my readers. So ... it is, with my wishes for you to have a joyous 2016.

_______________________________________________

"If this is my last year ... last month ... last week ... last day ... last night ... then what?

The first thing that came to mind to answer the "then what?" question was this: "be faithful to the call." And as often happens for me when thinking big thoughts (for me), I remembered a line from a song: "We will abandon it all, for the sake of the call ... " 

What am I called to?  FAITHFULNESS
  • as a child of God
  • as a wife
  • as a mother/grandmother
  • as a writer
  • as a citizen
  • as a friend

Those are the areas of life that poured onto the page as I wrote. I also jotted down brief ways that I can "do" faithfulness in each of those areas. Interestingly enough, the "doing" that was most common in regards to faithfulness in these areas of my life was one word: pray.

I ended my scribbles with these thoughts/goals/resolutions:
  • be light
  • share hope
  • live Christ
  • trust & obey (for there's no other way to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey)

This page of "resolutions" is like nothing I have ever written before. I'm almost always about making lists. Finish this. Write that. Change this. Sort that. Fix this. Make that. 

This year, the resolutions seem less focused ... but then they aren't, really, because being a writer is one of the main ways I can "be light," "share hope," and "live Christ." Writing every single day is one of the main ways I can "trust and obey." 

So that's my resolution for 2016: 

I will WRITE every single day of 2016. 
A poem.
A paragraph.
A chapter.
Every. Single. Day.

Steph Whitson (who wishes each one of you a WONDERMOUS 2016)


1 comment:

  1. Steph, this is so wise. We get too caught up in the everyday to-do types of resolutions. To have ones that ignite and increase our faith is a much better use of our time! Thank you for this. And for the Part I post.

    ReplyDelete