Wednesday, September 18, 2013

For Young Mothers Everywhere

I remember being a young Mom who felt like she wasn't accomplishing enough when "all" she did was hang out with her children. When the house was a mess and supper was sandwiches and the laundry wasn't folded and and and ... I remember. On those days, I would sometimes go back my "Favorite Quotes" binder to remind myself that what the world called success and how I had prayerfully decided to define that term would always be at odds with one another.
Here's one of those reminders (a gift from my mother-in-law).


I Took His Hand and Followed
Author unknown

My dishes went unwashed today,

            I didn’t make the bed.
            I took his hand and followed
            Where his eager footsteps led.

            Oh, yes, we went adventuring,
            My little son and I …
            Exploring all the great outdoors
            Beneath the summer sky.

            We waded in a crystal stream,
            We wandered through a wood.
            My kitchen wasn’t swept today,
            But life was gay and good.

            We found a cool, sun-dappled glade
            And now my small son knows
            How Mother Bunny hides her nest,
            Where jack-in-the-pulpit grows.

            We watched a robin feed her young,
            We climbed a sunlit hill …
            Saw cloud-sheep scamper through the sky,
            We plucked a daffodil.

            That my house was neglected,
            That I didn’t brush the stairs,
            In twenty years, no one on earth
            Will know, or even care.

            But that I’ve helped my little boy
            To noble manhood grow,
            In twenty years, the whole wide world

            May look and see and know.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, & SO true! Thanks, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My sentiments exactly. I remember those days, too. Now my daughter is expecting her first baby and the wonderful, crazy cycle continues. I'll have to keep this to encourage her one day when she's a busy mom. Thanks, Stephanie!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congratulations on being a Grandma, Jan. Hope you love every minute. My grandkids call me "YiaYia" at my request ... I picked it because it's easy to say. I love hearing their little voices say it.

      Delete